Q40 Defender by TECNIQ.
The Q40 Defender by TECNIQ has been redesigned and re-engineered from the ground up to deliver the ultimate iteration of an automotive icon.
A key focus for TECNIQ throughout the project has been for the Q40 Defender to blend bespoke luxury and elegant design without diluting any of the utilitarian ability that both the Defender and Chinook are world-renowned for.
In-house design, engineering and manufacturing expertise were employed across the entire build, with the clear aim of optimising each touchpoint and the full user interface for the driver and passengers in a bespoke and luxurious environment.
The one-off Q40 Defender underwent a complete in-house redesign and rebuild, liaising closely with 18(B) Squadron at RAF Odiham, taking subtle design cues from the aircraft for both the interior and exterior. At each stage, the TECNIQ team has worked to improve the performance, dynamics, and efficiency, while also enhancing the look and feel of the vehicle through careful selection of materials.
The engineering brief for the Q40 Defender project has ensured that it is now more capable and beautifully appointed than ever before, with precision engineering evident throughout.
It represents the skills and abilities of one of the UK’s leading automotive engineering firms while supporting the worthwhile activities of the Royal Air Forces Association.
A military approach to attention to detail has been maintained throughout the project, and the result is a vehicle that is as elegant in its details as it is purposeful in its abilities.
The hand-finished exterior bodywork has been carefully matched to the camouflaged bodywork of the aircraft, while all touchpoints throughout the interior have been re-engineered with tactile, precision-engineered materials.
TECNIQ’s unique tooling and engineering IP, developed over decades of creative problem-solving for the world’s leading automotive OEMs, enables it to develop seamless, cost and process-efficient manufacturing solutions.
From testing, tooling, prototyping and quality inspection, TECNIQ’s agile and integrated approach perfectly complements the increasingly complex needs of high-end automotive programmes.
An extreme attention to detail and quality assurance is underpinned by our F1-grade machines, processes and people.
TECNIQ’s single site, vertically integrated facility incorporates a full spectrum of industry-leading technologies for prototyping and precision manufacturing beautiful, jewellery-like parts.
The powertrain has received an extensive upgrade to provide a more sporting performance, balanced with up to date EURO6 emissions standards.
– Engine upgraded to Mustang-derived, four-cylinder Ford Eco boost 2.3 Turbo (307hp and 432Nm torque)
– Transmission upgraded to 6 speed Automatic Gearbox, including sport shift function
– Remapped ECU module – EURO 6 Compliant
The chassis has been extensively redeveloped in house by our chassis team at Classic Racing, to provide a more sporting, agile, yet sure footed ride, balanced with comfort and legendary off-road capability. As a foil to the power train and chassis performance upgrades, the braking systems have been extensively upgraded, borrowing again form the Classic Racing knowledge capabilities.
– Suspension bushes upgraded all round
– 1” lowered coil springs fitted
– Upgraded anti-roll bar, front and rear
– Braking system fully upgraded – 345mm disc and 6-pot callipers front, 330mm disc and 4-pot callipers rear
– Bilstein ‘Intelligent Ride Control’ programmable dampers all round, enabling driver control over ‘off road’, ‘sporting’ and ‘comfort’ ride modes
• Bilstein steering damper to suit Bilstein dampers
• Solid rear driveshafts
• Handbrake upgraded to electronic park brake
• Wheels upgraded to 18” Sawtooth with BF Goodrich 255/70/18 AT K02 tyres
Whilst preserving the iconic Defender exterior, there are numerous specially designed and re-designed elements of the Q40 that further enhance the presence, while adding quality and sophistication in the execution of this meticulous build. Great care has been taken to sensitively curate and enhance this automotive icon.
– Custom paint finish – Gloss Porsche Olive Green with Matt Porsche Olive Green rotor details
– Rear lights upgraded to LED
– Rearview camera
– Unique designed wheelarch extensions in carbon fibre composite
– Custom designed radiator grill in carbon fibre and MC machined brushed anodised aluminium ‘signature’ bar, brushed and anodised ‘rotor blade’ grill detail
– Unique brushed anodised aluminium exterior door handles, hand sewn marine leather wrapped touch points
– Unique designed front wing side ‘gill’ in carbon fibre, brushed anodised aluminium feature bar, with brushed and anodised ‘rotor blade’ grill detail
– Bonnet / fender vents in carbon fibre, hand brushed and anodised aluminium feature bar with brushed and anodised ‘rotor blade’ grill detail
– Billet machined and anodised ‘signal’ red lash down points
– Lightweight carbon fibre composite sill cover / step in matt lacquer finish with brushed and anodised CNC machined aluminium tread plates, carrying the rotor blade theme icon
– Rear roof ‘shark fin’ in carbon fibre – housing reversing camera and screen wash nozzle
Pilot, Co-Pilot & VIP Passengers
– Pilot and co-pilot seating in black Bridge of Weir semi-aniline leather and Alcantara; second row ‘VIP’ seating in light beige Bridge of Weir semi-aniline leather and Alcantara.
– Unique lightweight carbon fibre seats with brushed and anodised aluminium features and fittings, leather covered in theme colours with Chinook-inspired sheepskin pads both front and rear
– Lightweight uniquely designed Q40 steering wheel – billet machined, brushed, polished and anodised
– Case style front console with billet machined aluminium brushed and anodised frame and grab handle, cup holders and bespoke transmission lever positions
– Case style rear console with champagne bottle chiller billet machined polished holders for champagne flutes, integrated cup holders, 2 power sockets and 2 USB C ports manufactured with aluminium polished and anodised side cases, wrapped in semi aniline leather
– Custom gear selector knob
– ‘Aero gauge’ influenced redesigned instrument cluster graphics and billet machined aluminium surround
– Custom Alpine audio speaker system incorporating double DIN headunit with Apple Carplay, Android Auto and rearview camera
– Hand-sewn leather tailored instrument panel with newly designed, billet machined, brushed and anodised grab handle
– Red seatbelts front and rear
– Custom designed overhead console incorporating switch gear, submarine lighting, LED cabin lighting and mirror
– Alcantara trimmed sunvisors
– Custom trim for headliners in theme colours
– Leather trimmed door cards front and rear with feature machined aluminium door handle and Alcantara suede armrest pads
– Billet machined aluminium interior door pulls, door release escutcheons, doorlock buttons and grab handles
– Custom trim for upper trim panels wrapped in theme colours
– Unique designed carbon fibre composite rear bulkhead / divider with integrated stowage
– Custom carpets and mats
– Custom rear seat system with integrated umbrella stowage